Sunday, January 14, 2018

Tell Me the Stories of Jesus

One of the biggest challenges for Christians is moving from a childhood faith to an adult faith.  I remember learning about Jesus as a child in Sunday School – stories watered down to a child’s understanding.  They gave me a good foundation, milk but no meat.  As I grew older, I never stopped believing in God, but my following of Jesus became, shall we say, lackadaisical?  I stopped going to church but still felt that I was a good person.  It was when my world fell apart that I turned back to Jesus, but more about that in a later post.

One of the most eye-opening things for me as an adult is reading the Bible. Getting the real story for myself.  I began to resent having been taught bits and pieces, fed by others who focused on the verses and stories they liked and ignored those they didn’t. I wanted the whole story.  If you are seriously considering following Jesus, you need to read the Gospel accounts of His life for yourself.

These first four books of the New Testament – Matthew, Mark, Luke and John – are eyewitness accounts of Jesus’ life.  The people who wrote them either knew Jesus or talked to people who had.  Today, we easily believe the testimony of witnesses on the news and in court.  Why not believe the eyewitness testimony of those who knew Jesus?  Suspend, for now, any concerns you have about the authenticity of the Bible.  Accept the Gospels as true.  If you want more information, send me a note and I’ll get you the academic stuff that supports their veracity.

I’m going to ask you to read the Gospels, one each week for the next four weeks, beginning with Mark.

While Mark is the second book of the New Testament, it was the Gospel that was probably written first, somewhere in the early 50s.  This was barely 20 years after Jesus’ death and resurrection.  Mark focuses on making the case that Jesus is the long-awaited Jewish Messiah. To put Mark in context, check out this excellent 5 minute video from The Bible Project   https://youtu.be/OVRixfameGY

Try reading Mark in one sitting. It is only about 12,000 words long.  In comparison, most contemporary novels are in the range of 80,000-100,000 words.  As you read, imagine yourself in the story – as part of the crowd, as someone who had a one-on-one with Jesus, or in whatever way tugs on your heart.  Ask yourself, could Jesus be the Son of God?  And don’t be discouraged if it doesn’t all make sense.  I came across a great quote from Billy Graham this week:  “You may never understand everything in the Bible, but you can understand something.”  

Read whatever translation you like, even that dusty old Bible on your bookcase!  Here is the link to the New Living Translation which I find readable and accurate.  (If you want to know more about translations, send me a note).

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Mark+1&version=NLT

Our Father, guide our reading.  Open our hearts and minds to what You want us to know.  In Jesus’ name I pray.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment