Sunday, January 29, 2017

Making America Good Again: Time-Out

Taking a time-out is a good thing.

In sports, a time-out can help a team take a breath, re-evaluate strategy or throw the other team off their stride.  In parenting, giving your child a "time-out" helps them think about their bad behavior.  Sometimes, my computer "times out" if it can't perform the task I've asked it to do.  And taking a time-out from a week of work, God blessed and called the Sabbath.

I'm taking a time-out right now from engaging with folks who disagree with me.  I am still keeping up with the news but not responding to what I see. It is really hard to not react to what "the other side" is doing - but I'm trying! This time-out is giving me a chance to take a deep breath and re-evaluate how to contribute to the changes talking place in our country and the world.

In a recent series of sermons, Andy Stanley has talked about focusing on what you value and not just what you want.  Think long-term rather than short-term. In my "time out" I'm going to take his advice and focus on what I value.

So much of my attention these days has been on political things.  While I might want certain policies enacted,  what I truly value about America are the principles found in the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution.  As I prepare to re-engage in the public square,  it will be with these documents as my guide.

I'm also using this time-out to refresh my soul by doing what Jesus did.  He often took time away from His followers and the crowds to connect deeply with His Heavenly Father.  And so am I.  What I value most is knowing God's good, pleasing, and perfect will for me and the world around me.  As I prepare to re-engage in the public square, it will be with God's eternal principles, first and foremost, as my guide.

To help Make America Good Again, I'm taking a time-out to focus on the things that are valuable.  Do you need a time-out too?



.









No comments:

Post a Comment